Thursday, July 21, 2016

# 22 LIVING ALONE AND FIGHTING CANCER

MY RADIATION DOCTOR DR SOOD SUGGESTED I WRITE A POST ABOUT WHAT IT IS LIKE LIVING ALONE AND DEALING WITH CANCER. SO HERE GOES. 

The toughest time was while going through radiation twice a day and sometimes with chemo treatments in the same week. radiation and chemo tire me and nothing else gets done. so my housework and laundry, etc were getting way behind. But the great help of the trail community helped me get caught up. Mostly due to the word being spread by Matthew "Odie" Norman of the Hiker Yearbook, hikers were just stopping in to say Hi and ask if they could do anything. It was amazing.

 

At first quitting smoking was a big challenge but I was moving along well. I was almost (within a few puffs a day) a quitter. But now I am smoking again. But I won't give up because of the encouraging words from my daughter Tina, my doctors and nurses,  friends, and several hikers who have faced the same challenges and given me words of encouragement and tips. 

 

The financial challenges were also high at the beginning because of the increased costs of additional mileage on van, many additional supplements required, additional cost of certain foods I needed to eat, and cost of nicotene gum not covered by insurance until I got financial help from the American Legion Auxiliary National Emergency Fund.   And a Big Thank you to those who gave me gifts and sent cards, especially Angela "Phoenix Rising" Coates.

 

There are some times when I feel very alone and over-whelmed. But at the same time there are also times I am glad for the quiet. I try to understand that everyone has their own lives and they are busy too. 

 

There have been some big disappointments that were due to my lack of energy to not keep an eye on things better and/or take care of something immediately which resulted in my new pool case and two new pool sticks that were a gift along with all the accessories I owned valued in total at about $500 being stolen out of my van either in Duncannon or Damascus. Also stolen off my balcony this week was my DoTerra Essential Oil order valued at $125. SAD!

 

It means more to me than he may ever understand but I would like to thank Shane "Jester" O'Donnell who made sure I had fun! and was such a big help in the work that needed done before, during and after the Billville magic along with the other Billville members who were here. The other Billville members present were Harold "Over the Edge" Frederick,  Erich "Bustace" Shellenberger, my daughter Tina Mumma, Noah "Honey-Do" Osner, Matthew "Odie" Norman and LNTracy newest members, Chris "Colonel" Rodgers who has dual membership with Riff Raff! also the one known as which one doesn't belong in our pictures, newest members also currently hiking south "Cuffs" and "CQ", new member "Toasty Buns" currently hiking North. and Herb "Beekeeper" Brown

 

The main reason I believe I stay strong and focused in this challenge is to keep going as normal as possible still doing the things that bring me joy.  And following Doctors instructions. Remembering what one of  the women told me at Dr Moritz office, "This is not a death sentence, we'll take care of it." is a great help and knowing that the doctors really care about me and are keeping a close eye on me. 

 

People look extremely confused when I tell them I was blessed with cervical cancer. But to me it was a blessing because I accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. If it weren't for the cervical cancer follow up PT scan I would not know I have lung cancer till probably it was too late because there are no signs or symptoms for lung cancer. Signs and symptoms are very minimal in the very late stages. 

 

 And I believe in the power of prayer. So all the friends from near and far please continue your prayers for me and others who face such challenges. And may God bless you and keep you in return. 

Love,

Mary "trailangelmary" Parry 

 

2 comments:

  1. If trailangelmary was a tree, she would be a cerial tree.
    Every type of cerial hikers love would hang from her branches.
    She would grow beside a river of milk.
    All manner of berries would grow there.
    Naturaly occuring bowls formed from treestumps would dot the landscape.
    Spoonbilled platapusses would be everywhere offering their services.
    A nearby sugar mine would spill sugar out of a cliff makeing a sugar waterfall.
    The marytree would have a swing.
    And on it, matthewski would sit and read marytree poems and storys all to do with cerial box prizes.
    She would like those stories and when she would nap, i would feast on captian crunch with crunchberries but id only pick the ripest crunchberries.

    ReplyDelete