Thursday, April 28, 2016

# 15 WEEK OF APRIL 25 NOTES - BRAIN MRI NEGATIVE!

MONDAY APRIL 25 THROUGH FRIDAY APRIL 29

MONDAY CHECKUP WITH DR VEYTSMAN - Met Kathleen Spadaro, Nurse Practitioner. She updated my chart for new system. Blood Pressure 118/60 Pulse 60. GREAT NEWS FROM DR VEYTSMAN - MRI OF BRAIN NEGATIVE! Nurse Melissa Mummert drew blood to check white count and electrolytes. Received call from her later that day saying my magnesium was low and to add 2 - 400 mg per day to my supplements. Magnesium is a trace metal needed in the diet that plays an essential role in energy use in the cell and in copying the cell’s genetic material.  I also researched magnesium rich foods.

I added a folder to my documents with lists and charts on nutrition.

 
 

 Will see Dr Veytsman and have blood tests once a week till next chemo treatment in May.

THIS WEEK WITH DR SOOD - On Monday Dietician Margaret said I should be eating 5 servings of protein a day. I researched protein rich foods.

BIG THANK YOU TO MY NEW FRIEND MEG BRANTNER who followed me to the garage to leave my van for inspection, took me to both radiation appointments and then to get my van. It was a good day - only thing van needed was a light bulb! It was great getting to know Meg better. We had a good time and she showed me the alternate route to get to radiation appointments next week when 11-15 will be closed.

 

On Tuesday Nurse Julie and Dr Sood said my face color has improved greatly and gave me big congrats on quitting (almost!) smoking. Julie said 4-6 puffs a day is nothing especially compared to what I used to smoke a day. But I am not giving up on becoming a complete non-smoker.

 

On Tuesday Dr Sood said I need to build up my protein to prepare for throat and swallowing issues which may start in a week or two.

 

On Wednesday my nails are getting brittle and soft. Nurse Julie said on Thursday that this is from the chemo. I purchased Biotin (B7) supplements.

"There are many supplements marketed for strengthening nails, but the only significant evidence to-date is for supplementing with biotin (vitamin B-7)."

On Wednesday, the radiation therapists gave me a box of donuts and container of cookies to give to hikers. I put them on Doyle Hotel balcony picnic table with a note before doing a shuttle at 6:30 am. I'm sure the hikers in town loved that trail magic! There was at least 6 hikers in town.

On Thursday at the end of the second radiation I was feeling lightheaded and asked the therapists about it. Their first reaction was that it is normal when rising from the table but after I had to sit back down 4 times Kathryn took me to a room to check my vitals. Nurse Julie came in the room and said my blood pressure was low. It was 105/60. About 10 minutes later it rose to 112/57, still much lower than previous BP's this month. 4/8/16 - 137/56; 4/22/16 - 128/56; and 4/26/16 - 126/63. She said there is a name for what is happening. It is called orthostatic hypotension. She said when getting out of bed (other times it is happening) to roll on my side, then sit up in bed before standing >> "Sit before you stand, stand before you walk, look straight ahead and TAKE IT SLOW!" And taking a few deep breaths at each step.  She also instructed me to call Dr Bibosa who prescribed my blood pressure medicine. 

Dr  Bibosa's instructions are to take 1/2 pill a day and I will go in next Friday for a blood pressure check with his nurse.

Friday is day 8 (radiation # 15 & 16) of 15 days of radiation! Half way there! I saw the nurse again and we talked about my blood pressure. Today at 8:20 am before taking a blood pressure pill it was 128/56. She said do not do any changes in my blood pressure medication on my own. It could cause serious damage to go off pills totally suddenly. I told her I take my blood pressure pill after my first radiation of day. She said yesterday's low bp was probably because medication was at it's peak at that time.  
Seen by Dr Prashant Desai
today because Dr Sood has a day off. He said my lungs sounded good and asked how I am doing with smoking. Not as good as I hoped -  4 - 1/2 cigs a day. He said I have to get off them completely.

ENJOY THE MUCH NEEDED LIQUID SUNSHINE, EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment